الاثنين، 7 مايو 2012

Why I choose Aboul Fotouh


The Egyptian presidential elections and candidtates are the center of everyone's talk right now. What really amazes me these days, is that when a supporter of a certain candidate is asked about why they support him, they state the cons of the other candidates instead, and I find this quite annoying and ethically unacceptable. I respect all the candidates and believe they all have the right to run for presidency and really wish for fair play, yet my mind is inclined toward a certain candidate for a number of reasons.

Dr. Abdel Moneim Aboul Fotouh is my choice. I have read parts of his agenda and liked what I read. His campaign I should say is well-organized from the very beginning and the way he chose his team members is very thoughtful and successful. Moreover, the fact that he actually was a prominent figure in the Muslim Brotherhood does not scare me or turn me against him as it does many people. Agree or disagree with the MB, not one Egyptian can deny that it is a strong and well-rooted party. For many years it has been the only prominent oppositon in Egypt, which makes its leaders and members politically capable.

Aboul Fotouh has always been known for his intolerance of some the MB's inner policies, nevertheless, he has always confirmed that his resignation does not mean that he does not believe in Hassan el Banna's ideas and what the MB originally stood for, he said clearly that he had an administrative role in the guidance bureau and resigned it but still adopts the core beliefs of the MB.

Like many Egyptians, at first I was suspitious that his resignation from the MB was just a charade and that he is their  presidential candidate, but after they put El Shater and Morsy as their candidates I was deeply relieved.
To me, he is a reformer with an islamic background, clear about his stances, confident and a humanitarian.
No one can deny his role in the Arab Medical Union and the relief campaigns he helped send to many distressed countries and regions.  I chose Aboul Fotouh because I believe he represents all Egyptians; deeply religious yet liberal. We love our religion each in their own way and refuse to be told how to worship God or what to wear. 

I am not saying he is  flawless, nor would I blindly support him.  I believe whoever becomes president should never become idolized, this reign is over. There is no such thing as a one man show in our country anymore, nor are there gods and father figures. A president is a civil servant whose work should be profoundly and critically scrutinized and evaluated. Critical as it is to choose a suitable person for this extremely difficult stage, the next president is never going to work magic.  All we need is a trusted figure, and a hardworking dedicated government, and our own hands to start the long-awaited journey of rebuilding our precious Egypt.

This is only our first ever real presidential elections, and all I wish for is stability for my country. I want to see my country econimically and politically strong without losing its identity, and its people prosperous and productive. God bless Egypt.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق